Summer Reading List 2016



Believe it or not, I have NEVER, EVER made a summer book reading list!  I may have had certain classic novels that I've wanted to read or books that look good so I add them to my Goodreads or Amazon "want" list - but I have really never said to myself "I am going to read THESE five books this summer".  So this year I have decided that I am going to give it a go!!!!! 



1.  Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell  
This one is sort of a cheat .... for a few reasons.  First of all, I have read and re-read this book many times.  Second of all, it is for the Paper and Glam book club on Goodreads!  GWTW is my favorite book of all time, so I am really excited to read it again this summer! 


2. The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah 
I scored this book as a daily deal for 1.99 on Kindle!  (9.99 now, sorry)  

FRANCE, 1939
In the quiet village of Carriveau, Vianne Mauriac says goodbye to her husband, Antoine, as he heads for the Front. She doesn't believe that the Nazis will invade France...but invade they do, in droves of marching soldiers, in caravans of trucks and tanks, in planes that fill the skies and drop bombs upon the innocent. When a German captain requisitions Vianne's home, she and her daughter must live with the enemy or lose everything. Without food or money or hope, as danger escalates all around them, she is forced to make one impossible choice after another to keep her family alive.

The last remaining descendant of the Brontë family embarks on a modern-day literary scavenger hunt, using only the clues her eccentric father left behind, and the Brontës’ own novels.

This is another book club read, but I read "Heart Shaped Box" by Joe Hill several months ago and really enjoyed it.  
A chilling novel about a worldwide pandemic of spontaneous combustion that threatens to reduce civilization to ashes and a band of improbable heroes who battle to save it, led by one powerful and enigmatic man known as the Fireman.
The fireman is coming. Stay cool.

5.  I definitely have to have ONE YA title on the list, yes?  
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven 
When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

Comments

Popular Posts