Happy Homemaker Monday for March 20th, 2017


Welcome to this week's Happy Homemaker Monday.  I am linking up with Sandra at Diary of a SAHM.  


The weather:::
 We've just finished our last snow for the winter.  It's been mild here in the Detroit area for most of the season.  Today will be 43 and cloudy, but later this week, close to 60! 

On my reading pile:::


I just finished "Homegoing" by Yaa Gyasi.  It is a wonderfully complex book, but due to what I've been going through, it took me two months to read it and I would sometimes get lost due to the multiple narrators.  However, I highly recommend it.


I am also rereading (albeit very slowly)  Gone with the Wind - my favorite book of all time.


Amazon Prime has a program called Kindle First where they offer you a free e-book on the first of each month that has not been released yet.  This month I chose the book "The Practice House" by Laura McNeal. It's about a Scottish woman who becomes a teacher in a one-room schoolhouse in Kansas during the dust bowl period.  I'm about 1/4 of the way through and enjoying it so far.


I'm doing the Modern Mrs. Darcy 2017 Reading Challenge, Reading for Growth.  

Movies or Shows I watched this weekend:::
Emily (my 17yo) and I watched "Gettysburg" last night.  We just started an in-depth study of the Civil War for a research paper she will be writing at the end of the term.  She was "soooooo bored" at the beginning of the movie, but she soon came around :)

On my TV:::
Since my mom's death last month, I can't watch everything I normally watch.  I need more mind-numbing t.v.
*Bring It
*Star
CURRENT BINGE WATCH:  *Rewatching Dance Moms

On the menu for this week:::

Breakfasts will be boiled eggs with turkey sausage or oatmeal, lunches will be either chef salad, baked fish with rice and veggies, or ham and swiss roll-ups

Sunday:  Swedish meatballs over noodles, green beans
Monday:  Bubble up pizza, carrots with ranch
Tuesday: Sazon pork chops with olives and potatoes (I love this!)
Wednesday:  Chili dogs and tater tots (not every night is gourmet, lol)
Thursday: Shepard's Pie (one for us, one for my dad)
Friday:  Pesto chicken and penne pasta  with steamed broccoli
Saturday:  Family dinner out
Sunday: Spaghetti and meatballs with broccoli and garlic bread

On my to do list:::

  • Declutter living room (put things where they belong!) 
  • Fill bird feeder  
  • Read
  • Watch Dance Moms 
  • Work in my War Binder (I'll be doing a post on this soon) 
  • Laundry 
  • Cook ahead for the week 
  • Catch up on some YouTube videos
  • Lesson Plan 


What I am crafting or creating:::
I am still writing my novel (I took a long break due to my mom's illness and passing) and also some song lyrics and music.


My current passion is planner decorating, bullet journals, and my war binder. These things have really kept me sane over the past several months.  More on all of those to come!



Happening this week:::

  • Working M-F 8-4
  • Homeschooling w/ Emme 
  • Furniture shopping with my sister for my dad 
  • Trip to the library 
  • Celebrating my sister's birthday 


Looking around the house:::

Sunday (when I'm typing this) is my cleaning day, so things are a bit of a mess right now.  By the end of the day, things should be looking pretty good ;)

From the camera:::

We had a HUGE wind storm last week that knocked out power across Michigan, over 1/2-million just in my area alone!  68-mph in my city! This is the 7-11 sign near my house.  Trees uprooted, tons of damage, etc.  It was the largest power outage DTE has had in our history! My dad's gate to the privacy fence was ripped off the hinges.  I'm thankful that we never lost power at my house!

What I'm wearing today:::
Cleaning attire!  Yoga pants and a t-shirt.  Hot mama!  lol

One of my simple pleasures:::
 Watching the bird feeder I recently placed at the front of my house.  It's mostly just little sparrows and some black-capped chickadees, but I do get the gift of a cardinal from time to time! (Shortly after writing this, a gorgeous cardinal came and sat on top of the feeder!  <3  ) 


Bible verse, Devotional::: 
I've been following a scripture writing plan as well as Arabah Joy's Praying the 40-promises of the cross and Her Binder Project (HIGHLY recommend - free every month!!!!) where we are studying Philippians this month, one of my favorite books of the Bible. 


Comments

  1. I'm sorry for the recent loss of your mother. Losing a parent is a very hard thing. I hope you are finding some peace this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a copy of Gone with The Wind I found while cleaning out my mothers closet after she passed, I know it was for me because she always sent me care packages and they always had books inside-I cant bring myself to read it. I am so sorry you also lost your mother. but happy to see that your war binder/planner is helping you. sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry about the loss of your Mom! Loosing someone we love is never easy....I must say loosing a parent is much different from any other! Please post when your done reading your e-book! I love books like that... Praying for you this week !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts