"Caroline: Little House Revisited" Book Review


My personal review:  ***  Three stars 

From Amazon:  In the frigid days of February, 1870, Caroline Ingalls and her family leave the familiar comforts of the Big Woods of Wisconsin and the warm bosom of her family, for a new life in Kansas Indian Territory. Packing what they can carry in their wagon, Caroline, her husband Charles, and their little girls, Mary and Laura, head west to settle in a beautiful, unpredictable land full of promise and peril.

I really wanted to love this book.  I was SO excited to find it on sale for my Kindle.  I chose it to be my first read of 2018.  But unfortunately, I did not love it.  

There were so many references to the stories I read growing up and the t.v. show I watched into adulthood that there were warm, happy feelings reading parts of this book. Laura's precociousness, Charles' great love for the West and hard work ethic, Mr. Edwards' jovial personality - all of these things made the book worthwhile.  

It was Caroline herself that ruined it for me.  She was just miserable.  She held in all of her feelings and shunned herself for having any.  She got very tangential and at times even seemed a little bit loopy in the head.  It was not the "Ma" that I knew and loved.  

At first I thought it might just be me!  But then I went and read some of the other reviews on GoodReads and Amazon and I see that there were plenty of other readers like me who were disappointed in Caroline's portrayal.  HOWEVER - there are plenty of other people who just love it.  

If you are a diehard Little House fan, give it a go. Maybe you'll be one of the people who gushed and gave it five stars.  Personally, I think I will go and re-read the originals. 




Comments

Popular Posts