Blogmas 30: Grocery Challenge and Veganuary


I'm just about ready.  Feeling a bit under the weather, but I was able to get my grocery shopping done today for the first week of January! 

I've decided that I am going to go ahead and use up what I already have that is not vegan, but everything new that I buy for January (for myself) will be vegan.  

My "normal" grocery shopping is about 175/week including all household cleaners and paper products.  I'm cutting back to 100/week for January. 

I've decided to take a daily theme approach: 

S - CORN soup/stew/chili

M - bean/lentil meal

T - dad's house (probably a meat substitute, veg, salad) 

W - tofu meal 

TH - bean/lentil meal

F - pasta meal

S - tofu meal 




Here is the meal plan for week one.

Breakfasts: Overnight oats with fruit, baked "cobbler" or avocado toast

Lunches: Leftovers, chickpea salad sandwiches on seedy bread, Buddha bowls

Dinners: 

T - Black bean and lentil soup 

W - Buffalo Tofu Wrap, Oven roasted potatoes

TH - One pot Spanish rice and beans 

F - Mushroom spinach pasta 

S - Creamy tomato orzo with crispy tofu cutlets 

S - Lentil sloppy joe stuffed baked potato side of veg 


ON HAND: (Things crossed out will be used this week) 

Several different grains: Bulgur, Farro, Quinoa, Barley, Brown Rice, Oats, Popcorn 

Dried beans: Pinto, black, red, lentils, red lentils 

A couple potatoes, a huge sweet potato, 2 lemons, 2 limes, 2 peppers, onions, celery

Many condiments

Canned green beans, corn, black beans, kidney beans, and tomatoes, chickpeas

Three cartons Broth 

Pre-made rice and pasta (rice-a-roni, knorr pasta sides, jambalaya mixed rice) 

Pasta and Orzo

Flour, bread flour, yeast, baking powder/soda 

Maple syrup, flax, chia, vegan vanilla protein powder

Fridge: Oat milk Hummus, feta, carrots, celery, sauerkraut, 2 dozen eggs, milk, random cheese, tofurkey slices, leftovers. 

I shopped mostly at Aldi this week.  I did get a few things from Kroger that are on sale (Jeff's yogurt, naan dippers, cabbage, spaghetti sauce, tofu) 

GROCERY LIST: 

Fruit: Bunch of bananas, 3-lb bag of mandarins

Mushrooms

Cabbage (49c a pound)

Spinach

2 avocado (49c ea)

Potatoes (10-lb bag 349)

Garlic 

Cilantro

Banana peppers

Green olives  

Garlic pita chips (we have a LOT of hummus) 

2 blocks tofu (1.79 for a 2-pack) 

Tortillas 

Vegetable oil 

Seeded bread 

Yogurt (Jeff)  (2.99 for a 4-pack, bought 2)

Canned fruit (Jeff) 

Naan dippers for leftover hummus (2.99) 

Aldi sloppy joe sauce

Salsa

Veggie burgers

English muffins 

2 Jars Bertolli sauce (1.99 ea) 

Toilet paper

Chicken thighs (for my son) 

Diet pop (I'm working on it!) 

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, but that is the bulk of it.  I spent $94 on our groceries for the week and there's really $12 I didn't need to buy (the naan/pita chips and son's chicken - he needs to buy his own groceries - it's a long story) 

I'll update at the end of the week how we used what we bought and what we have leftover going into the 2nd week of the challenge. 


 


Comments

Popular Posts