Can't Wait Wednesday


This is my first time participating in Can't Wait Wednesday, hosted by Tressa @ Wishful Endings. 

I am looking forward to a March 2023 release by a new-to-me author, Ream Shukairy. 


First of all, this will fit in great with one of the book challenges that I plan to participate in, The Diversity Reading Challenge. 

More importantly, it takes place in the city where I live, Detroit, Michigan.  Most importantly, it is about a culture that I am very familiar with, as my children are 1/2 Arabic.  Their father is from Jordan, which is not all that far from Syria.  (Think Detroit to Washington DC) 

Here is an excerpt: 

Khadija Shaami is a spirited Syrian American boxer who is tired of the overwhelming expectations placed on her. She longs to get out of Detroit and see the world. (I too long to move out of Detroit!  Soon!) 

Leene Taher is a Syrian refugee haunted by her past and looking to make her new home in Detroit amongst the local Syrian community.

When the two girls meet, it will challenge everything they know about the world and their place within it.

One of the most unique books coming out in 2023, The Next New Syrian Girl is about the far-reaching effects of the Syrian war and what it means to be Syrian abroad.

Super excited to read this! 

Have a great week and thank you for stopping by! 


Comments

Popular Posts